So lately well over the last 5 months my household has been full of sickness. Since Ruaidhrí went into intense care over Christmas, the poor wee mite has had a rough time of it. He catches everything going, my heart goes out to my little guy as he just battles on through with the biggest smile.
It’s hard when your little one is sick as there is only so much you can do to help them. Especially the young ones. Roman on the other hand. That boy never gets sick at all expect from the sniffles. Somebody needs to test this boys DNA or bloods or something. As his immune system is the best I have ever seen.
When it comes to sickness and the boys getting the cold I have learnt a few things over my nearly 5 years of being a mum.
ALWAYS, always I have in my cupboard..
- Capol and Nurofen in the cupboard just for the fever and the pain they might get well mostly Ruaidhrí from coughing. One can be given a half hour after the other.
- Snuffle Babe Vapor Rub can be used on babies from 3 months onwards. I put it on their chests throughout the day and night. I also apply to the soles of their feet at night with a pair of cotton socks over the too. It helps ease the cough a bit throughout the night. Cam also work on adults too with Vicks Vapor Rub or any other Vapor Rub.
- Steam is a really good way to help loosen up all the phlegm in the chest and nose. This makes it easier for them to get up. Plus most babies are mesmerised by running water and it relaxes them. However, older kids may find this boring and hard to do. All I do is turn on the hot water in the bath and shower, close bathroom window and door. I let the hot water do it’s work come back 15 minutes to our own steam room.
- Honey is great for coughs. Honey is actually good for a lot of things. But for colds and flus honey is great for easing a cough and sore throat. Warning honey is not to be given to anyone under the age of 1.
- I also use a nasal aspirator. Currently using a Nuby one. This gets used whenever Ruaidhrí’s nose is blocked up. They are really quite handy to have.
These are the remedies I go by. However, if anyone has any other home remedies that helps ease the symptoms of colds and flus in babies and children. Please Share!
I would love to hear as little Ruaidhrí currently fighting of his 6 flu since he was born. Although I am thankful the 5 that have followed since his first cold have not been as serious and life threatening as the first one.